Most skin experts will tell you that regular exfoliation is key to great skin. This is the very reason why you’ll find tons of exfoliators available today. You’ll find physical exfoliants in the form of scrubs and peels as well as chemical exfoliants in the form of chemicals and vitamins. It’s just a matter of preference which one to go for.
If you’ve never exfoliated your skin before, you might be wondering why you should do it. There’s actually a few compelling reasons to give exfoliation a try like the following:
- It can renew and resurface your skin for a clearer and smoother appearance.
- It can help your skin absorb products better.
- It can force the skin to heal itself so you can always enjoy a young-looking, radiant skin.
- It can unclog pores to prevent further acne breakouts.
Choosing between physical and chemical exfoliants shouldn’t be a hard decision. Chemical peels can be tricky and require a good understanding of the ingredients. It can be a bit overwhelming for first-timers.
Most beginners tend to prefer physical exfoliation as it will let you see and feel the change. However, you still have to choose the best scrubs and physical exfoliants to get the job done. Some products can be too harsh and create micro-tears on your skin that will damage its quality. Knowing which ones are good for you will be the best way to add exfoliation to your routine.
The Best Facial Exfoliators to Choose From
Which exfoliators should you check out? Here are ten of the top-rated facial scrubs that might work for you.
1. Kyoku For Men Exfoliating Facial Scrub
Physical exfoliation works well for men, especially if they regularly shave their facial hair. This is why the Kyoku for Men Exfoliating Facial Scrub is a big hit among consumers as it’s a hard-working skincare product that gets the job done.
Being a physical exfoliator for men, it’s designed not just to remove dead skin cells, unclog pores, and renew upper layers of the skin. It can also free up ingrown hairs to give you a cleaner and closer shave.
This product also contains Vitamin A and E to nourish and boost your skin’s quality. It’s blended with volcanic ash so it will lift all of the skin’s impurities and absorb excess oil. As a result, it offers a cleaner and more refreshing outcome every after wash.
- Contains a lot of natural ingredients including highly nourishing ones
- Designed for men
- Removes toxins, impurities, and excess oil
- Gentle formulation
- Smells nice
- Quite pricey
2. Neutrogena Naturals Acne Foaming Scrub
Neutrogena is one of the most popular drugstore skincare brands out there so it shouldn’t be surprising to find a couple of their products on this list. The first to be hailed as one of their best scrubs is the Neutrogena Naturals Acne Foaming Scrub.
This is made specifically for acne sufferers who want an effective product that guarantees top-notch quality and natural ingredients. It features a clinically-proven formulation that includes wintergreen which is a natural source of salicylic acid. It’s also designed to remove excess oil and deeply clean the pores to prevent the formation of blackheads and whiteheads.
- Uses a natural acne-fighting ingredient
- Deeply cleans and cares for the skin
- Abrasive enough to scrub your skin gently
- Has a scent that might bother some people with sensitive noses
3. Neutrogena Rapid Clear Foaming Scrub
Another highly recommended pick from Neutrogena is the Rapid Clear Foaming Scrub. This product promises to clear up your skin quickly through exfoliation and effective delivery of anti-acne medication.
This product combines its MicroClear technology and high strength salicylic acid to create a smoother and blemish-free skin. It cuts through oil so the medication can effectively penetrate your skin to prevent common irritants from causing another flare-up.
As a result, it combines exfoliation and medication delivery in one efficient step. This simplifies how you take care of your skin and results to its healthier state and better overall appearance.
- Contains 2% salicylic acid
- Improves skin quality quickly
- Won’t overly dry your skin
- Might be too strong for very sensitive skin
4. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Face Wash Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub
The Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Face Wash Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub is also a popular exfoliating cleanser from this famous drugstore brand. It’s formulated to effectively fight acne with its high strength salicylic acid and vitamin C content.
With the additional vitamin C, it can also help heal and lighten the appearance of acne scars. This makes it an efficient pick for acne treatments as it can prevent, heal, and remove all traces of acne on your skin.
The best part is it uses a natural source for its vitamin C content. This makes it a more attractive option as it can guarantee to be gentler to your skin and more effective.
- Treats, prevents, and removes traces of acne on your skin
- Contains naturally-derived vitamin C
- Smells nice
- Can be too strong for those with sensitive skin
5. Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub
Lots of people shy away from drugstore products as they tend to use synthetic ingredients. Not the Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub, though, as it is made of 94% naturally-derived components.
Highly recommended by users and beauty experts, this product has a gentler anti-acne formulation than other Neutrogena products. It doesn’t have harsh chemicals, parabens, phthalates, sulfates, or dyes so you don’t need to worry about synthetic ingredients hurting your skin.
It’s also very eco-friendly. It wasn’t tested on animals and its packaging is made of recycled plastic. So if you want to take the natural route in battling acne, this can be a good choice for you.
- Doesn’t contain harsh and damaging ingredients
- Smells nice
- Suitable for all skin types
- Gentle and non-irritating
- Can still dry out dry and sensitive skin
6. Clean & Clear Blackhead Eraser Facial Scrub
For a classic and affordable pick for acne would be the Clean & Clear Blackhead Eraser Facial Scrub. Lots of younger adults today may have started out with and moved on from this brand but the fact remains that it offers a great formula that promises positive results.
Formulated with 2% concentration of salicylic acid, it can deliver a potent amount of medication for acne breakouts. Its scrub is also very gritty so those who like to feel the peeling effect exfoliants do will be satisfied with its consistency.
On top of it all, it’s very affordable. So if you want a strong acne-fighting exfoliator, this might just be the best pick for you.
- Excellent price
- Promises results in two days
- High strength salicylic acid content
- Has a clean feel after use
- Might be too harsh for those with very sensitive skin
7. Thrive Natural Face Scrub for Men
The Thrive Natural Face Scrub for Men offers a nice jolt of energy while nourishing and keeping your skin clean and healthy. This makes it a popular choice for men who need that extra kick in the morning to help them start their day.
Made of all-natural ingredients, this face scrub features unique Costa Rican plant oils to help moisturize and improve your skin’s quality. It features the antibacterial, antifungal Juanilama and the anti-inflammatory and nourishing Fierillo. Both are also rich in antioxidants, so they can easily help repair skin damage.
Combined with fine Arabica coffee grounds as a scrubbing agent, it can prevent ingrown facial hair. You also won’t have to worry about damaging the environment with this scrub as it’s all natural and biodegradable.
- Unique formulation
- Great for mornings
- Formulated to nourish your skin and prevent ingrown facial hair
- Scent can result in delayed sleep when used at night
8. MIZON Honey Black Sugar Scrub
Want a natural option that won’t break the bank? The Mizon Honey Black Sugar Scrub is a K-beauty pick that can do the trick. This product is made from natural ingredients so it’s good for your skin and the environment. It’s also very affordable, so you don’t have to worry about your budget.
The best part about this item is that it’s practically a DIY recipe without you having to spend time in the kitchen. It uses honey for excellent nourishment and black sugar to gently exfoliate your skin. It also contains 35% antioxidants so your skin will get a nice boost to improve its appearance.
- Uses natural ingredients
- Provides an excellent DIY recipe without the effort of whipping it up
- Clears pores, removes dead skin cells, and moisturizes the skin
- Gently exfoliates so it won’t damage your skin
- Has a relatively strong sweet scent that might bother some people
9. Candid Essentials Advanced Microdermabrasion Scrub
Those who want a facial in a bottle might want to check out the Candid Essentials Advanced Microdermabrasion Scrub. As the name suggests, this item replicates the effects of microdermabrasion so it promises to deeply exfoliate the skin. It’s a cheaper and easier alternative to the in-office procedure, so it can be a more convenient option to get somewhat similar results.
Formulated to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, sun spots, and dull skin, this product aims to transform your skin quality. Its potent ingredients are all proven to help exfoliate and moisturize the skin, so it can be the total package your skincare routine needs.
- Highly effective
- Convenient to use as it’s only recommended to be used once a week
- Contains potent exfoliating ingredients and essential oils
- Very easy to use
- Can be too harsh for very sensitive skin
10. FIG+YARROW Organic Facial Scrub
Another all-natural scrub option is the Fig+Yarrow Organic Facial Scrub. What sets this product apart is its all raw and natural components so you can be guaranteed that you’ll only be using biodegradable ingredients in your exfoliation.
Its formula is also very gentle. It uses oats, herbs, honey, and minerals to remove your dead skin cells, unclog pores, and repair your skin from different kinds of damage. It can certainly nourish your skin to make it clearer and more radiant.
- All-natural ingredients
- Eco-friendly option
- No parabens, sulfates, synthetic ingredients, GMOs, or animal testing involved in its production
- Very gentle and moisturizing
- Can be tricky to store
Each product above is guaranteed to offer great results. However, some tend to be better options than others as they can do more for your skin. The Fig+Yarrow Organic Facial Scrub can be deemed to be a cut above the rest for its very gentle and natural formulation.
Unless you’re allergic to its ingredients, it can be the best pick for most people. It’s even good for the environment, so it’s definitely a solid choice for those who want to make a difference not only on their skin but for the planet as well.