Some people may argue about the purpose of toners, but those who are already using the right one for their skin will know how it helps their skin. Mostly, good toners for sensitive skin, oily skin, or dry skin will balance your skin’s pH levels.
This is necessary to keep your skin’s acid mantle in top shape. Achieving this will ensure that your skin will be able to fend and care for itself so it can retain moisture while blocking irritants from causing flare-ups.
As toners are also the first thing your skin will absorb after cleansing, they should also contain hydrating ingredients. This way, you can build up moisture on your skin to keep it healthy and radiant.
Choosing good toners for oily skin and other skin types can be tricky. Lots of products can actually be more stripping of natural oils and drying, so you have to avoid them. No matter what your skin issue, non-alcohol toners are great options as they can help prevent your skin from drying out.
Top 10 Non-Alcohol Toners that You Should Try Today
With so many products to choose from, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. To help you avoid that, here are ten picks that should help you find the right toner for you right away.
1. Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera
If you thought that the most affordable drugstore toners should be avoided at all costs, you’re sorely mistaken. The Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera is a cut above the rest as it features potent natural ingredients. It’s formulated to effectively clean your skin while nourishing it at the same time, so it offers a nice balance to improve its health.
With undistilled witch hazel as its key ingredient, this product offers a natural solution to acne. It contains antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and healing properties. It can also help remove excess oil and deeply clean your skin, making it a great toner for clogged pores.
Its organic aloe vera content further boosts its healing properties while the rose petals help moisturize the skin. Its formula may be simple, but it’s very efficient, so it can really be a great pick for lots of people.
- Contains organic aloe vera and undistilled witch hazel
- Smells refreshing
- Very affordable
- Made in the USA
- No alcohol, parabens, and propylene glycol
- Scent can be overwhelming for some users
2. Thayers Alcohol-free Rose Petal Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera
The Thayers Alcohol-free Rose Petal Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera is one of the best toners for dry acne prone skin because of its all-natural and straightforward formulation. Those with troubled skin who can’t handle alcohol and similarly drying ingredients, no matter how effective they are for acne, shouldn’t shy away from this product. As it contains a potent natural antibacterial ingredient, it can be the solution to your skin issues.
A great plus for this product is its very friendly price. It definitely offers great value for your money as you’ll get a lot of product for a couple of bucks. As it’s also a natural antiseptic, it won’t just help free your skin of impurities but you can also use it to treat and heal cuts, bruises, and nicks.
- Restores skin’s natural pH levels
- Also helps moisturize and nourish your skin
- Serves as a natural antiseptic as well
- With tons of rave reviews
- Might cause a reaction if you’re allergic to fragrance
3. Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe Herbs and Rosewater
Aside from helping you restore your pH levels after cleansing, you can also use toners to refresh yourself on hot days. This is why the Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe Herbs and Rosewater is included in this list as it is one of the most popular hydrating multi-use sprays available today.
You can use this product in many different ways. It can be utilized as a toner after cleansing or as a refreshing mist that you spray on your face at any time of the day. Some also use it as a natural setting spray for their makeup.
Lots of people take it around with them on hot days to keep their skin moisturized despite the heat. It’s a great choice because of its aloe vera and rosewater components which are both very hydrating.
- Very gentle to the skin
- Can be used in various ways
- Highly moisturizing ingredients
- Very affordable
- Contains fragrance that can bother some users
4. Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe Herbs and Rosewater
If you want a gentle and non-irritating multifunctional skincare product with tons of rave reviews, the Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe Herbs and Rosewater can do the trick. You can find this item in just about every beauty blogger’s arsenal as it has so many functions and works well for various skin types.
What makes it such a big hit is its versatility. Lots of people love it because it offers hydration on the go. So if it’s a particularly hot day and you want to refresh your skin even while wearing makeup, this mist offers a fuss-free solution.
- Made in the USA
- Not tested on animals
- Smells nice
- Can be applied any time of the day even on top of makeup
- Packed with great ingredients
- Contains dyes that might cause a reaction in some people
5. Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Rosewater & Facial Spray with Green Tea Duo
The Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Rosewater & Facial Spray with Green Tea Duo features the same item listed above but with the addition of the Green Tea variant. So because you get two products in one package, it can offer you variety and the option to address various issues in a flash.
The green tea variant also contains aloe, peppermint, bladderwick, and cucumber. It hydrates, smoothes, soothes, and gives the skin an antioxidant boost so your skin will definitely benefit from it.
- Smells and feels refreshing
- Great value for money
- Loaded with nourishing and moisturizing ingredients
- Highly versatile
- Rosewater scent can be overwhelming for some users
6. Leven Rose Rose Water Facial Toner
With rosewater’s gentle and nourishing composition, it can definitely be the best toner for large pores and oily skin. This makes the Leven Rose Rose Water Facial Toner a solid choice as it is one of the few pure rosewater toners around. With only one ingredient in this product, you can count on it to give you the great benefits of this natural astringent.
Made from 100% pure, natural Moroccan rose water, this facial toner can offer the most gentle toning and deep pore cleaning. It will also moisturize and nourish your skin without any irritants so it can be the best pick for sensitive skin.
- All-natural, pure rosewater without any other ingredient that can irritate your skin
- Friendly price
- Can also be used as a mist, hair wash, moisturizer, aftershave, or for facial sheet masks
- Packaged in a dark bottle to prevent oxidation
- Spray nozzle cap tends to dispense a large amount of product which can seem wasteful
7. Eve Hansen Organic Rose Water Spray
Another pure rose water product option is the Eve Hansen Organic Rose Water Spray. This natural astringent for large pores is also made from pure Moroccan rose petals like the Leven Rose toner. It also contains a single ingredient so if you’re not allergic to roses, this product might do wonders for your skin.
As it is packed in a spray bottle, it’s very easy and convenient to use. You can spray it directly on your skin, cotton pad, or even a sheet mask to enjoy its effects. You can even choose to use it on your hair and scalp to boost their hydration. It can certainly be the versatile and all-rounder beauty product that your skin will thank you for.
- Made of pure Moroccan organic rose
- Can be used in various ways
- Smells nice
- Needs to be stored properly so it won’t oxidize
8. Eau Thermale Avène Thermal Spring Water
For the most gentle, non-alcohol toner there is, you can try the Avene Eau Thermale Avène Thermal Spring Water. This product only contains the signature Avene Thermal Spring Water which is basically just pure spring water in an aerated bottle.
Being from a natural source, this product contains trace elements, silicates, and very few minerals that can all do wonders for the skin. It’s clinically tested and proven to help soothe, calm, and soften skin, so it can work well as a facial toner or a refreshing spray mist.
- Safe for all ages
- Very gentle
- Reduces sensitivities, refreshes and nourishes the skin
- Neutral 7.5 pH
- Quite pricey
9. Thayers Alcohol-free Unscented Witch Hazel Toner
If you’re looking for an alcohol-free witch hazel toner that doesn’t have an overwhelming smell, the Thayers Alcohol-free Unscented Witch Hazel Toner is an option you should look into. It features certified organic witch hazel and aloe vera, so it promises an efficient job in cleansing and soothing your skin.
This product, just like the Rose Petal-scented variety listed above, is all-natural and gentle to the skin. It’s also one of the best toners for blackheads as it can deep clean and unclog pores.
- Naturally preserved
- No parabens and fragrance
- Gentle to the skin but deeply cleans pores
- Can also serve as a natural antiseptic
- Might not be potent enough for severe acne breakouts
10. Olay ProX Even Skin Tone Spot Fading Treatment
The Olay ProX Even Skin Tone Spot Fading Treatment is not exactly a toner but it might be able to replicate or boost the performance of an effective toner for even skin tone. As the name suggests, it can deal with dark spots and hyperpigmentation effectively.
This spot treatment product is actually more of an exfoliant than a toner. Its primary component is niacinamide so it restores and renews the skin as well as lightens darkened areas effectively. It’s also formulated by dermatologists so you can be guaranteed that it works.
- Professional formulation promises high strength and effectiveness
- Repairs sun damage and evens out skin tone
- Not a non-alcohol toner so it contains alcohol
Generally speaking, all ten picks are great non-alcohol toners that can work with most skin types. However, if you want something that will most likely do wonders for your skin, the Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe Herbs and Rosewater can be an excellent choice.
This product has proven its worth over and over again, so it can certainly make a good case for itself. With its gentle formulation and various uses, it might just be the very product you need to take your skincare routine to the next level.